Flying with bfgs in the USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flying with bfgs in the USA

Post  Fight Designer on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:51 am

Figured this might be worth the PSA since I hadn't done it before, and I learned some new things. I'd flown with real firearms before, but not replicas- just got into my hotel in Boise, ID after a short (1 hr flight, 1 additional hr. time change) flight from Seattle.

So... they decided in the 'better safe than sorry' category to just have me fill out the declaration form as though they were real guns. I was prepared for this, and had them unloaded in a hardshell case with a lock on it, all within my big suitcase. They'd had their fair share of airsoft and paintball guns in luggage before, but I think this was their first time seeing blank firing guns in luggage.

I'd assumed that ammo was banned on flights too, but no- up to 50lbs is ok, and I assume that's the same with blanks. Needs to be in original manufacturer packaging, etc, but still... good to know.
Fight Designer
Admin

View user profile http://www.fightdesigner.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flying with bfgs in the USA

Post  Fight Designer on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:57 pm

I should add- there was some variation from airport to airport. Both places the TSA agents at first tried to get me to fill out the form declaring 'inspected firearms' and then place a copy in the 'weapons case'... which I was supposed to then lock with a lock that I alone had the combination or key for.

Of course, none of them had an answer for when I asked how anyone was supposed to check the form if it's locked in a case only I can get into... so they then said to go ahead and place it outside the case, since the hardshell case was inside a suitcase.

So glad our security is in good hands. Rolling Eyes
Fight Designer
Admin

View user profile http://www.fightdesigner.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pitfighter on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 pm

Came through BKK International (Bangkok) to LAX (Los Angeles) with all of the prop airsoft guns from the movie, which I was given as a gift by the production.
The guns had silencers and laser sites and were of the all metal variety.
It nearly closed down the airport, and army were called in to verify that the guns were toys. Luckily there were army close by, and it was all over relatively quickly, no problems at all stateside.
Have travelled within the US with real firearms with no problems, as long as it's all above board and handled legally, declared and following the rules to the letter of the law.
I would be wary of DC and NYC, and certainly entering CA with certain types of weapon.
ATF are spot checking many sets in LA now after a series of accidents last year.
Just make sure your permits and licenses are in order.

Had a problem importing a BFOG from Germany, it got held up at San Fransisco Customs, where several letters and telephone calls later I was told I had thirty days from seisure to make a case. The case involved me sending posters and stills publicity packages from past films to show proof of what the replica was to be used for, and a letter of declaration, it was then sent to me by Fedex at no charge. So be prepared.
pitfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FightDude on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I also have flown with bfgs, plastic and metal airsfor guns (LAX to FL and back) and decided to be safe than sorry by declaring them. Amazingly, no one quite knew whato do or where to send me when I first tried to declare the guns and explain that they were not "real" to the airline rep at baggage check. Eventually, I was sent to the aree where baggage gets x-rayed and told to wait until they got to my bag at which point I reminded one of the TSA guys that my bag had prop weapons. Sure enough, my baggage went thru the xray and I could see all the TSA guys tense up. My bag was placed on a counter, opend up, and each gun (in its box or hard shell case) was placed on a metal table top. About 6-7 TSA guys eventually gathered around my weapons as I explained to them that they were not "real" guns. After about 15 minutes my stuff was placed back in my baggage and I was given the a-ok. Recommendation: Declare the weapons.

FightDude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top