Asi

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Asi

Post  Fight Designer on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Well, I caved and bought an 'Asi'. Wanted to have a select-fire blank gun that didn't just look like a handgun (like the Jackal does).

Will post pictures and review when I get the chance. Hoping there may be some cosmetic changes I can make to help it look a little less like a low-end airsoft gun, but we'll see how adventurous I feel once I've actually got it. Supposed to ship today, delivery in 3-7 days.

Not sure how much I'll want to fire it off of a movie set or other paying gig, given that the extended mag means you can burn through 26 rounds in just over a second... it comes out to about $10 per second of full-auto, according to the stats and prices on at least one seller's site. This would be one reason why full auto blank guns aren't that common, I suppose... but hey, given that time is money, and finding, cleaning, and reloading a modelgun uzi's cartridges could easily take ten minutes or more of an entire film crew's time... there's a niche for this. Wish it was front venting, and might have to look in to if that's a doable and legal conversion for me, but even without, it'll still have its uses.

If anyone sees 9mm PAK blanks for under 50cents each, by all means, let me know!

Wish I'd had it about three years ago, when a live theatre in Texas was asking for a full auto blank firing assault weapon of some sort, to rent. Ended up having to mess with a plastic shell ejecting gas blowback airsoft gun which jammed a lot, and had some parts break, all of which was a huge hassle to deal with long-distance. This is hopefully more plug & play for the actors/technicians (while still allowing spray & pray for the characters).

jocolor
Fight Designer
Admin

View user profile http://www.fightdesigner.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Asi

Post  Fight Designer on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Got the Asi, but without the hi-cap mag it was supposed to come with (which was one of my reasons for going ahead and buying, since I wanted that option for my Jackal as well). Ordered from Sportsman's Guide, and their customer service has shipped the extended mag now. I'll probably wait on pictures until I've got that, though.

Test fired yesterday- felt a bit stiff and gritty first, so I sprayed it out a bit with WD40 and wiped it off... chambering the first round it didn't quite go forward all the way into battery, so I ejected that round, cleaned it off some more, and tried again.

Spat out full auto rounds just fine, and semi auto fine. Not sure if the tube top vent or box housing amplify sound somehow or something, but man, it's loud, even with my hearing protection (Peltor tactical stereo electronic ear muffs).

Taking it apart to peek (hey, I had to) it looks like it would be harder than I thought to just make a new tube to redirect the muzzle flash and smoke back into the end of the barrel- just isn't much room there. Sadness, as the flash and smoke from a full auto burst would be awesome in front-venting. The barrel extension is just screwed in, and there's a divider in it, but the actual barrel blockage is upstream of that, much like in the Jackal. The chimney style vent just sits on top of the hole in the top of the stripped-down Jackal, held there by the plastic housing put over top of it. If nothing else, I might end up grinding down the top edge of that since it just looks so wacky sticking up out of the top of the gun. I suppose sticking a sight on the rail over top of it would do the same thing, but I'm not sure what would happen if you then fired it. Sight might go airborne!

I still wish they'd made a better housing for it- not all synthetic, not just a two-piece molded shell, not with the built-in forward grip (would it have been much harder to just put a normal rail there and let us decide about forward grips for ourselves?), not such a fantasy design, and perhaps a rear bit that allowed for the option of attaching some sort of stock. There is a small rectangular indentation in the back that almost looks like it was made to accommodate something like that, but since it's just a two-piece screwed together shell, you wouldn't want to add anything that'll put much stress on the attachment point.

Anyway- seems to work as is, is reliable as is (so I'm hesitant to mess with it too much), but could have been much better for a minimal extra investment of materials, design time, and assembly, which is sad.

Very curious to see if I get rental inquiries for it. There was a rental I did for a Texas theatre about three years ago that this would have been perfect for... tongue
Fight Designer
Admin

View user profile http://www.fightdesigner.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum