Fight Designer Prop Weaponry Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reviews

Go down

Reviews Empty Reviews

Post  Fight Designer Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:18 pm

Okay, as we're still just getting started here, and I've got a few new pieces to review soon... what sort of things are important to you? What should be included in a review? What would people need pictures or stats on, etc?

One of my gold standards for reviews is www.MyArmoury.com, because they have amazing photos and the people reviewing them generally know their stuff; it's not just 'gee, this is cool', but they're able to make comparisons to the museum originals, talk to the makers, do exact measurements, etc... that's a hell of a lot of work though, and one reason I haven't contributed there myself is that I don't think my photography skills and/or setup is up to those standards yet.

That said, it'd be great to establish some kind of template for reviews.

Just to get the ball rolling, here's a few things I think should be in a useful review of a bank firing gun, in no particular order

Maker
Caliber
Model
it's imitating or inspired by, if any
Magazine (or cylinder or whatever) capacity
Where/how it vents
Functions
(example- the Napoleon blank firing 1911s have a number of features that are not functional, just cosmetic and non-moving). Can it be field stripped?
Reliability- ideally test fire a magazine or so and report how many jams, if any, and what kind.
Source it was purchased from
Cost paid

And if applicable:
Any mods done- I'm always interested in things like ability to put on factory grips with proper trademarks, swap/replace sights, or other aftermarket alterations that might make it look nicer. Some of the front-venting models have mock silencers available in Europe, and I hope to one day make one for some of mine, since they have the threaded barrels...
Updates- some of mine wear out faster than others, or alternately work better once broken in.

Others with the same model would be able to comment on whether or not their experience matches- some makers seem to have quality control issues, where some work fine and others don't. The Bruni 1911s seem to have sear issues commonly, for example...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could develop a library here of info on all the blank firing guns we (collectively) have access to?
Fight Designer
Fight Designer
Admin

http://www.fightdesigner.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum